Wrap-up // #TomeTopple Round 4


So Round 4 of the #TomeTopple readathon has come to a close and I'm pretty proud of myself for how much I managed to read! I was able to finish three (and a half!) books, plus about a fifth of Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan, which I'm continuing to read as part of #TheReadingQuest

In total, I read 929 pages and listened to 13 hours 21 minutes of audio (equivalent to another 1,121 pages)! 

And overall, I completed three of the five reading challenges:
  • Read more than one tome,
  • Read a tome that is part of a series, and
  • Buddy read a tome.
Here are some of my thoughts about the books that I finished.

- - -

Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan

 

Having never heard of Echo prior to this readathon, I was pleasantly surprised upon reading it. An enchanting middle-grade novel, it tells the stories of Friedrich in Germany, Mike in Pennsylvania, and Ivy in California when their lives become intertwined by a magical harmonica. Perhaps it was the German setting and fairytale-esque story surrounding the origins of said harmonica, but I found the book to be very reminiscent of Krabat by Otfried Preußler.

The audiobook, narrated by Mark Bramhall, David de Vries, MacLeod Andrews, and Rebecca Soler, was utterly captivating and I honestly could not recommend it more! Music plays such a major role in the book, so it was amazing to be able to experience the story as a complete, theatrical production.

- - -





The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

The Unexpected Everything had been on my TBR for well over a year, and after picking up a copy at a second-hand bookstore a few months ago, I was excited to have a good excuse to read it. This is my first read by Matson, and I'm delighted to say that it won't be my last.

The story follows Andie, the daughter of an American congressman, whose summer plans fall apart as a result of her father's political scandal. Complete with dogs, friendships, and a cute romance, this light contemporary made for an easy yet enjoyable read, especially after the intensity of some of the heavier fantasies I've been reading lately.

I buddy-read this book with my new friend Maria over at Sirius Reading, so go check out her videos and show her some love!
- - -

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

An unexpected and late addition to my #TomeTopple TBR, I picked up The Invention of Hugo Cabret on audiobook after finishing Echo earlier than expected. Narrated by Jeff Woodman, the book is set in 1930's Paris and follows young orphan Hugo Cabret in his quest to repair an automaton that he believes contains a message from his late father. What follows is a touching story about friendship and family, with a smattering of history about the invention of cinema thrown in.

Having read the physical book many, many years ago, it was nice to listen to the audiobook this time around. The physical book is half text, half illustrations, (which are absolutely gorgeous so you really do miss out with the audiobook format) but without them, I was able to focus completely on the story. I'd recommend reading both formats simultaneously if possible, to really make the most of the experience.

- - -

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor


Dreams of Gods and Monsters is the stunning conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. Although this was the first book I read as part of this readathon, I'm including it last in my list as I only read half of it. Set partially in our world and partially in the world of angels and demons, the trilogy follows Karou as she discovers the truth about herself and a secret war that only she can end.

As I wrote in my review over on Goodreads, it's not often that you come across a trilogy (or even a series, for that matter, that leaves the reader feeling satisfied at the end. But this book is a shining star among all the rest. Unlike other fantasies that I've read recently, the tension is at a constant high and nothing is predictable: none of the characters are ever safe and the fate of both worlds is not guaranteed. Taylor's prose is lyrical and arresting and this trilogy has certainly cemented itself as one of my all-time favourites.

- - -

Did you participate in this round of #TomeTopple? If you did, were you happy with how you went? Would you recommend any of the tomes you read? Let me know in the comments below or send me a tweet!


Niamh, xo.

Comments