why I love libraries // top ten Tuesday


Happy Tuesday, everyone! I'm here with another TTT post and this week it's all about libraries. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl and every week, there's a new topic to respond to. Today, I'm twisting it up a little so read on to find out...

why I love libraries 

- - -

1. FREE BOOKS!

A library is the only place that allows you to (legally) read books for free. This is so important! I don't know about you, but I certainly can't afford to buy every single book I want to read. And I know that, financially, I'm a lot more privileged than others, so I can only imagine what it would mean for some if libraries just didn't exist.

- - -

2. So. Many. Books.

Children's books... teen books... romance, fantasy, science-fiction... and not just the new releases or bestsellers! Libraries have a HUGE collection of old and new books alike! I'm confident that I could walk into my local library and find a book on just about any topic imaginable. How awesome is that?! And, if they don't have the book you're after, most libraries will be happy to order it for you!

- - -

3. But not just books!

Not only do libraries stock a wide range of books; they also have a large collection of magazines, newspapers, DVDs... some libraries even loan out tools and musical instruments! The best bit, though, is that many libraries now have digital collections - which means that I can borrow ebooks and audiobooks from my phone without even needing to leave the house! Perfect.

- - -

4. Librarians are super helpful!

On the rare occasion that I haven't been able to find the book I was looking for - because, let's be honest, libraries can be big and heckers confusing - I've just asked! I'm sure nothing makes a librarian happier than helping people find their perfect read. (Except maybe correctly reshelving a book. Or is that just me?) And librarians undergo extensive training to excel at their jobs, so they're super knowledgeable as well!

- - -

5. Free Wi-fi!

Admittedly, free Wi-fi is becoming more pervasive out in the wild (i.e. anywhere that is not your home), so this is no longer a uNiQuE feature of libraries. However, if I'm to stay somewhere for longer than a few minutes, Wi-fi is an absolute necessity so this is still an important point.

- - -

6. Free public space!

Unlike a coffee shop, where you actually have to buy something to avoid being kicked out, it is completely acceptable for you to just hang out in a library all day. And with free Wi-fi and an almost infinite supply of books, why wouldn't you?

- - -

7. The quietness!

These days, libraries have become something more of a community hub, so you probably won't get told off for talking to a friend. But they still have quiet spaces where you can read or work in peace without being constantly interrupted by annoying parents/siblings/roommates.

- - -

8. Ideal for work or study!

With (almost) unlimited resources, complimentary Wi-fi, and a free and quiet environment, a library is THE PERFECT place to work or study, either permanently or as a change from your home or workplace! And they also have meeting rooms that you can book (for free, of course!) to work on all those pesky group assignments during school and uni.

- - -

9. Bookish (and non-bookish) events!

Speaking of all the free things that libraries have to offer, they often host special events! I've been fortunate to attend a few events at the State Library of Queensland and Brisbane Square Library, where I've met and had my books signed by authors including Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff, Garth Nix, Jennifer Niven, and Krystal Sutherland. I also once attended a free library event where I learnt how to make different kinds of dumplings, so they really do have something for everyone!

- - -

10. Meet like-minded people!

Okay, I can't say that I myself have ever made a new friend in a library - that would involve actually talking to someone - BUT I'm sure it's possible! And chances are that any new friend you make in a library would be a particularly good one as you'd have so much in common! Maybe one day I might even meet my future husband in a library! *Sigh* A girl can dream, right?

- - -

Have you ever made a new friend in a library? Or have you never even used a library? I'd love to hear your thoughts or adorable library meet-cute stories so please let me know in the comments below!


Niamh, xo.

Comments

  1. I love my local library. I go there every week for my Russian meetup group. And they have lots of amazing free books. I usually just get them electronically.

    Our library has an amazing book sale twice a year too. In a couple of weeks I'll get to leave the library with a huge paper bag (the kind they used to use at grocery stores) full of books for $5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't libraries just the best?! I wish my library had a book sale because that sounds incredible! Not that my TBR would thank me if I came home with such a huge paper bag full of books!

      Delete

Post a Comment