books I am thankful for // Top Ten Tuesday


Thanksgiving is not a holiday that is traditionally celebrated in Australia*. However, as the year draws to an end, it doesn't hurt to reflect on the things one is thankful for.

*Except for in the territory of Norfolk Island, where it is celebrated on the last Wednesday of November. 

I wouldn't be who I am today without the books I've read throughout my lifetime. They have been my constant friends and companions, and have helped me through more than one rough time in my life. Naturally, I am immensely grateful to the authors for creating and bringing those stories to life because, without them, the books simply wouldn't exist. But I also have to thank my parents: for reading countless stories to me throughout my childhood, and thus fostering in me a love of reading that has persisted to this day. 

It is impossible to pinpoint a single moment or name an individual book that inspired my love of reading – it's been an ongoing love affair virtually ever since I was born! So today I have chosen to highlight ten books/series that have impacted my life in some way, shape, or form. Ranging from early childhood to young adult, these are all books that I look forward to sharing with my own children in the future. 

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl with a new topic to respond to every week.

- - -

Image result for the kinder hat
1. The Kinder Hat by Morag Loh and illustrated by Donna Rawlins (apparently this was my absolute favourite book when I was in preschool)


10354804
2. Hop on Pop and other books by Dr. Seuss


7109229
3. The Fairy Realm by Emily Rodda


1370244
4. The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy


703300
5. Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson (I was today years old when I found out that this is part of a series and is not the first, but the THIRD book)


17488
6. The Famous Five by Enid Blyton


100915


72193
8. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling


6456514
9. Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan


763588
10. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

- - -

Let's chat! What books have had an impact on your life? Are they still some of your favourites now? What are you reflecting on as the year draws to an end? Let me know in the comments below and feel free to share your TTT as well!


Niamh, xo.

Comments

  1. I read the Narnia books when I was older, but they remain some of my favorites. There is so much beauty inside their pages. Someday I really should read the Anne books, too! They seem like they'd be so good. :)

    Happy Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wish that I was Lucy and could stumble into Narnia! The world is just so magical! I recommend Anne so highly! Her story is so pure and beautiful.

      Delete
  2. So many amazing books! I can see why you're thankful for them. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dr. Seuss books are amazing, and I have a lot of love for the Narnia series too. I read them as a kid and loved the magical possibilities in them! Ranger's apprentice I've never read but I've wondered about that series as well- it looks fun!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! I started reading Ranger's Apprentice when I was nine or ten and am still reading them over a decade on so if that's not an indication of how good they are, I don't know what is! John Flanagan is an auto-buy author for me these days.

      Delete
  4. Oh this makes my heart so happy. Hop on Pop was always one of my faves. I actually got a Halmark Christmas ornament of it a couple years ago and I cherish it.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hop on Pop was one of the first books I ever learnt to read! Dr. Seuss had such a knack for writing rhymes and stories that were engaging and educational at the same time! That ornament sounds beautiful and I can see why it would be so special to you.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful list! I can't wait to read Anne of Green Gables. There is something special about books we read in our adolesence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dinara! There really is. Books hold such beautiful memories and it is always a joy to re-read childhood favourites. Anne of Green Gables is one of those books that everyone can enjoy (no matter their age) and I will always shout my love for her from the rooftops!

      Delete
  6. Dr. Seuss was such a huge part of my childhood! And I have a special place in my heart for Harry Potter - I started reading them when I was pregnant with my first daughter (who is now the ultimate in Potterheads, go figure).

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a beautiful connection that you and your daughter share – it sounds like she was already born with a love of Harry Potter!

      Delete
  7. Ahh Anne of Green Gables is one of my all-time favourites! LOVE that book. I also adored reading The Famous Five. So good.

    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What good taste you have! I loved all of Enid Blyton's books but The Famous Five were ones that I consistently read and re-read.

      Delete
  8. I've read the Narnia and Anne of Green Gables books. I'm fortunate in that my grandma loved reading books and loaned the Anne series to me. I eventually inherited them from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma introduced me to Anne of Green Gables as well! She bought me a bind-up of the first three books for my tenth birthday and of course I loved them!

      Delete

Post a Comment