platonic relationships in books // Top Ten Tuesday


Let's face it, book friendships are often better than book romances. I'll choose a story with a well-developed, beautiful friendship over one with a sappy, romance-heavy plot any day. Plus, non-romance books aren't plagued by annoying, overused tropes like the brooding-bad-boy-with-a-dark-secret or insta-love. I mean, who ever heard of insta-friendship?!

Platonic relationships are as diverse as the fish in the ocean: every friendship, every family is unique. So there's really no limit to the kinds of platonic relationships you can encounter in novels. Some of my favourites make me so happy (or sad), even now just thinking about them!

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl, with a new topic to respond to every week. 

- - -


1. Anne and Diana from Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Diana is Anne's first friend in Avonlea and, unlike most other folks, she accepts Anne for who she is right from the very start. Their friendship is pure and innocent and lasts long after both girls grow up. They truly are kindred spirits.

- - -

2. Will and Halt from the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan

Will and Halt have such a special relationship that matures and evolves as Will grows up and the series progresses. Halt comes to love Will as the son he never had, and Will Halt as the father he once lost. When one is in peril, the other will stop at nothing to save him, which, come to think of it, forms the basis of the plot of at least two books.

- - -


3. Jess and Leslie from Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I'm honestly tearing up right now just thinking about this book and their friendship. It's just so beautiful and heartbreaking. I don't even have the words to describe it.

- - -

4. The Herons from the Brotherband series by John Flanagan

The bond between the eight outcast boys, the gruff one-handed warrior, and the dead-shot girl is an integral part of this series. In fact, the crew of the Heron are really like a family. What more can I say? John Flanagan just has a knack for creating excellent (and often hilarious, banter-filled) relationships between his characters.

- - -


5. Humans and dæmons from the world of The Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

Does this count given that dæmons are the physical manifestation of one's soul? You know what, I don't even care because the relationship between a person and their dæmon is so special. I'm still salty that dæmons don't actually exist in real life.

- - -

6. Skulduggery and Stephanie/Valkyrie from the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy

Skulduggery Pleasant and Valkyrie Cain's relationship is complicated and disguised by A LOT of dry humour. In the beginning, Stephanie just wants to learn magic and impress Skulduggery, but soon she becomes drawn into his dangerous world and learns more about his past and his morally-grey character. Skulduggery, on the other hand, initially only puts up with her as a kind of curiosity, I think, and because he feels he owes it to her uncle (rather than a sense of responsibility) to look out for her. However, gradually their relationship morphs into a kind of (outwardly grudging) mutual respect and deep down they really care about one another.

And, wow, clearly I have a lot of thoughts about this one because I have written a small essay, oops.

- - -


7. Lena, Carmen, Tibby, and Bridget from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

These four girls are so different – they each have entirely unique personalities and interests – but the way that they become, and then are able to remain, friends is such a lovely story. Their relationships with one another are complex but that just makes them all the more special.

- - -

8. Ady, Kate, and Clem from Take Three Girls by Cath Crowley, Fiona Wood, and Simmone Howell

This book is all about strong, female friendships and the importance of standing up for one another. Just like in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Ady, Kate, and Clem are very different people. But they eventually come to realise that they are stronger together and that it's their differences that make their unlikely friendship so powerful.

- - -



9. Katniss and Rue from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Y'all know why this one has made the list. Why are so many of the best relationships so devastating?!

- - -

10. Emma and Cristina from The Dark Artifices trilogy by Cassandra Clare

I'm not going to lie, I can't remember much from Lady Midnight or Lord of Shadows. I do know, however, that I LOVED Emma and Cristina's friendship! But, um, I can't recall why. Imma reread the first two books now before Queen of Air and Darkness is released...

- - -

Let's chat! What are some of your favourite platonic relationships in books? Do they make you happy (or sad) when you think about them? Let me know in the comments below and feel free to leave a link to your TTT so I can check it out as well!


Niamh, xo.

Comments

  1. Aww!! I wish I'd remembered Katniss and Rue. Such a heart breaking part of the story. Love the 'Sisterhood' girls, and of course, Anne and Diana are a classic BFF pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot Katniss and Rue too! But once I remembered I couldn't not include them. :)

      Delete
  2. Katniss and Rue. Awesome pick! I loved how it was handled in both book and movie. And Skulduggery Pleasant I'm totally unfamiliar with, but it sounds super interesting!

    Will and Halt sound great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree – I think The Hunger Games was overall quite a well-handled book-to-movie adaptation but that scene in particular was beautiful. Definitely would recommend the Skulduggery series, it's so much fun and packed full of humour. On that note, have I convinced you to read Ranger's Apprentice yet? :)

      Delete
    2. I am seriously tempted haha! I've always thought those books looked fun, and your recommendation has definitely helped. So yeah... I think I'm convinced. :)

      Delete
    3. YAY! Ahh I really hope you enjoy them now! Let me know what you think!!

      Delete
  3. I'll take Katniss' friendship with Rue (or Cinna) over her tired love triangle with Peeta and Gale any day. So pure and realistic.

    Here's my Ten Friendships in books: https://dinaratengri.com/2018/11/ten-friendships-in-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinna!! Basically all of Katniss's other relationships were better than those with Peeta and Gale!

      Delete
  4. Boo to Katniss and Rue. That scene had me crying like no tomorrow - doesn't even matter if it's the book or the movie really. And I have to agree with you on humans and dæmons - really wish those were real! Seems to me it's the perfect way of having a relationship / friendship with.. yourself? Kind of? Without having that loneliness to cope with on a daily basis in some cases. Only wins. Only wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, so many tears! And I think dæmons would just be such good company!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, such good picks. I can't believe I forgot Katniss and Rue and Anne and Diana. Those friendships are just so pure.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess and Leslie's friendship was beautiful. Nice choice there.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really was! Definitely caused me some tears though!

      Delete
  7. Katniss and Rue were so sweet together. Of course Anne and Diane too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were actually the first two relationships that I thought of for this prompt!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissi! It's always lovely to have you stop by :)

      Delete
  9. Emma and Cristina have a great relationship. ;)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO keen to finish my current read so I can pick up Lady Midnight again! I can't believe QoAaD comes out in just a few short days!!!

      Delete
  10. YES! I’d rather see a strong friendship than a sappy romance. Bridge to Terabithia made my list, too. I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think friendship stories are just so much more relatable?! I mean, I do enjoy a cute romance every now and again, but they're usually not very realistic...

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, I wish I'd thought to include humans and daemons. Here's my list - https://corastillwrites.wordpress.com/ - it's super long and detailed because I got carried away with this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was honestly a bit of an afterthought! It seems to be really resonating with people though so I'm glad I included it!

      Delete
  12. Awww, what a great list! The Bridge to Terabithia was one of the first books to EVER break my heart. I remember being so devastated but it's such a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I have such a vivid memory of reading it at my aunt and uncle's house and absolutely bawling my eyes out!

      Delete

Post a Comment