series I need to finish // Top Ten Tuesday


I love a good series – the longer the better! But with all the enticing shiny new releases that just keep popping up on Goodreads and Bookstagram, it can be hard to keep up with sequels to that series you first started reading five years ago. 
Especially if you're like me and are TERRIBLE at remembering what happened in the first two or five or TEN books. 
Because then you need to reread. And as enjoyable as it can be to revisit the first few books in one of your favourite series, it takes sooo long. And who has time for that with all the shiny new releases?! 

Over the past year or two, I've made a concentrated effort to try and finish part-read series. In fact, just the other day I finally caught up on Brotherband by John Flanagan and am now continuing the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy by D. M. Cornish – a series I started in PRIMARY SCHOOL but never completed. Whoops. 

But of course, I also read multiple *new* books this year, so, um, I still have lots of series that I need to finish...

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a new topic to respond to every week.

- - -

30214330
1. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices #3) by Cassandra Clare

ARGH I'm still waiting for my library hold to become available! (It says the book is still on order?) But in the meantime, I'm rereading the first two books in the trilogy because I am the worst and I can't remember a single thing that happened.

- - -

38464781
2. Undying (Unearthed #2) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

After reading and really enjoying Unearthed at the beginning of the year, I preordered Undying so that I could read it (and therefore finish the duology) as soon as it was released. But, um, that hasn't happened yet. SOON, I PROMISE.

- - -

41086595
3. Archenemies (Renegades #2) by Marissa Meyer

Pretty much the same sitch as above except Renegades has become a trilogy so I don't know whether I should read it now or wait until the third and final book is released... Thoughts??

- - -

36134048
4. Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current #2) by Sarah Tolcser

Song of the Current was another 2018 read and as it's only a duology, it's probably a good idea to read this one soon while I can still vaguely remember the plot of the first book.

- - -

26077971
5. Raelia (The Medoran Chronicles #2) by Lynette Noni

With the finale Vardaesia scheduled for publication in February 2019, now is the perfect time to binge-read the rest of the series in preparation for what I'm sure will be an epic conclusion!

- - -

24935433
6. The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant #9) by Derek Landy

I think I'm up to book nine? I honestly don't know. Hence why I started rereading the series earlier in the year. But my library only has the first four books on audiobook so I just... stopped?

- - -

11199165
7. Spiral (Tunnels #5) by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams

Another series I started in primary school (thanks to the Scholastic Book Club – who remembers that?!) and never finished. At this point, I'm not even sure I want to finish it; I don't remember it being... the best.

- - -

320220
8. The Peskie Spell (Fairy Realm #9) by Emily Rodda

Fairy Realm was one of my absolute favourite series when I was little but for some reason, I never read the last two books? For the sake of completion, I'd really like to finish the series one day.

- - -

77393
9. Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4) by L. M. Montgomery

For someone who counts Anne of Green Gables as one of their favourite series of all time, it's embarrassing that I've never gotten around to reading beyond the original trilogy. Although I have heard that the follow-up books aren't quite as good. Has anyone read them and can tell me if they're worth it?

- - -

12111823
10. The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire #6) by George R. R. Martin

Okay, yes, I'm aware that this is just wishful thinking. Who knows when George will actually finish writing the book – I've heard it's over 1500 pages long! In fact, is this even the real cover??

- - -

Do you keep on top of newly-released sequels? Or do you have a small stack of unfinished series in your TBR as well? And am I the only one who can never remember the plot from one book to the next so has to reread everything? 

Let me know in the comments below and feel free to leave a link to your TTT post as well! I'm keen to check out what everyone else chose to write about for this week's freebie topic!


Niamh, xo.

Comments

  1. I have plenty of series I need to finish as well. Most of which are part of a series I really enjoyed! Someday I'd like to pick up "Renegades" by Marissa Meyer to see if I enjoy it or not; it seems like it'd be a fun series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of these are from series' I really enjoyed, which is good! I can't speak for the rest of the Renegades trilogy, but the first book was heaps of fun so would definitely recommend!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with finishing these books Niamh! :-) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissi! I look forward to seeing what topic you've chosen for this week!

      Delete
  3. Ooh The Winds of Winter. I can't wait to read that- I have so many questions about where things are going. I just started the new Fire and Blood book and while it reads differently (a little more dry, straight up narration) it is very interesting!

    Whisper of the Tide- such a lovely cover (and title). I have the first one on my shelf but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Ooh I've been curious about Fire and Blood ever since it was announced – it's interesting that it's a history rather than a novel. It's very daunting though!

      It is, isn't it?! Song of the Current is also beautiful. And it surprised me how much I enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. Rilla of Ingleside is one of my favorite Anne books. I pre-ordered QOAAD because I wanted the pre-order gift. I read TMI, TID, and TDA this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's encouraging to hear! I think I might give the first trilogy a reread and then dive into the rest of the books. That's impressive, well done! I was hoping to reread TMI and TID before TDA but unfortunately didn't get around to it. Maybe next year!

      Delete
  5. I've read all of the Anne of Green Gables series. Honestly, Anne of Windy Poplars was the last book in that series that I liked. You're not missing out on much by skipping the rest.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, now I'm discouraged again. I might have to read them anyway so I can form my own opinions. And also I know I'll always feel like I'm missing out if I don't!

      Delete
    2. That makes total sense. You might like them more than I did! Everyone has their own perspective, after all. :)

      Delete
  6. Great minds think alike: I ran with the same topic this week. Anne of Green Gables sounds like a fantastic series and it's been on my TBR for too long.

    Here's my Top Ten tuesday: https://dinaratengri.com/2018/12/so-many-book-series-so-little-time/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I look forward to seeing what books you included! I love Anne (at least the original trilogy) so much; it's definitely one of my comfort reads!

      Delete
  7. Hope you enjoy the rest of the Skulduggery Plesant books, it's one of my favourite series!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/top-ten-tuesday-189/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, me too! I know I loved all the ones I have read; Derek Landy just writes them at such a prodigious rate that I can't keep up!

      Delete
  8. Good luck with finishing these! I need to finish The Illuminae Files. I don’t remember what happened in the first two books. I read the first 3 Song of Ice and Fire books this year. I swear I’ll read the rest next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oooh The Illuminae Files is on my TBR and I'm very keen to get to them soon!

      Delete
  9. I need to read the first three on your list as well. I'm not sure if I'm ready though. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, same! I'm definitely not ready for QOAAD but at least with Archenemies we know there's going to be another book!

      Delete
  10. I kind of wish I had reread the first two books in The Dark Artifices as well. I kept saying I would but I am apparently the worst at rereading on a schedule. There was a lot I think I forgot from both Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows. Sigh! BUT, Queen of Air and Darkness was SUPER good and I'm officially having a book hangover from this. SO, prepare yourself for that one! I'm excited to hear your thoughts on it when you do get to it.

    You know, after years and years of waiting for the next ASOIAF book, I am pretty sure we're never going to get it. BUT, I'd be willing to forgive him for waiting if (and only if!) it's just as good as the other books. Which, it probably will be. AH. But! You get my point! Hopefully. Maybe. I'm super tired as I am typing this so sorry for the babbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too. I'm still working my way through Lady Midnight. But at this rate, who even knows when my hold of QOAAD will be available?! Ahhh I'M SO EXCITED though!!!

      You're probably right. Why does George keep writing other things rather than just focussing on finishing the series?! If it's anything less than amazing, I'm going to be so disappointed.

      Delete

Post a Comment