Best & worst of 2018 // Top Ten Tuesday

Happy New Year! 
2019 has officially arrived, although it will take me a few weeks to adjust to the changeover of the calendar year. Does anyone else CONSTANTLY write the wrong date at the start of a new year?!

Now that 2018 is actually over, it's time for me to reflect on the year that was and look back on all the books that I read in the past twelve months. A full summary of my reading stats will be going live on Friday, but first up – the best and worst of 2018!

The books that made my "Best of 2018" list are those that I absolutely loved and now class as favourites, while the books on the "Worst of 2018" list were ones that I didn't enjoy or found disappointing (most were actually 3-star reads that simply didn't live up to expectations). These are not necessarily books that were published in 2018 but are all ones that I read (for the first time) last year. 

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl, with a new topic to respond to every week.

- - -


~ Best of 2018 ~

24493726
10. The Tournament at Gorlan by John Flanagan

It wouldn't be a list of favourites without including at least one Ranger's Apprentice book! This one following young Halt takes the cake!

- - -

30336056
9. Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley

A book set in a bookstore with well-developed characters and a sweet romance, Words in Deep Blue is a beautiful story.

- - -

32334268
8. Valentine by Jodi McAlister

This book has it all: murderous fey, snarky girls, and grumpy (but soft) boys. Perfect!

- - -

16099442
7. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Confession time: I'd seen the film (starring my fave Saoirse Ronan) at least half a dozen times before reading this so this story has a special place in my heart.

- - -

29283884

What a hilarious, entertaining adventure! Also Monty and Percy are the best. And the audiobook is brilliant!

- - -

10626594
5. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Maggie Stiefvater's beautiful lyrical prose + a cold, wet island + bloodthirsty horses = YES, PLEASE.

- - -

38143401
4. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The hype is real with this one. Very topical and well worth a read.

- - -

37772713
3. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

More murderous fey! Are you sensing a pattern here?

- - -

19174917
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Cath, the anxious little introvert, is so completely relatable and Levi is an adorable little (big) cinnamon roll.

- - -

30969076
1. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

There is no question that Nevernight is the best book in existence. Jay Kristoff is a god. But if you need convincing: a smol, stabby girl goes to assassin school to become an assassin and there is lots of blood and gore and smut.


- - -


~ Worst of 2018 ~

28458598
10. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

Everyone raved about this one so I had such high hopes. The romance was cute but the story had so much more potential.

- - -

33312976
9. Wreck by Fleur Ferris

Mysteries and thrillers can be so hit or miss and Wreck was just mediocre.

- - -

33123322
8. Frogkisser! by Garth Nix

I think I would have really enjoyed Frogkisser! when I was younger – it was fun but a tad juvenile and not the quality that I expect from Garth Nix.

- - -

587293
7. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

This just didn't live up to the Disney version in my eyes.

- - -

32737127
6. Unfiltered by Lily Collins

I really like Lily Collins as an actress and as a person, but her memoir felt a bit formulaic and wasn't as good as other celebrity autobiographies that I've read.

- - -

23203252
5. A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Meh. Just another tropey YA fantasy.

- - -

18692431
4. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

I really didn't like how the story was resolved and everything else was kind of average.

- - -

31364316
3. Songlines by Carolyn Denman

Songlines had such an interesting premise (incorporating both Christian and Indigenous Australian beliefs) but I wanted more from the story. It also fell into common tropes, so, no thanks.

- - -

26721568
2. The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Maybe I made a mistake by listening to the audiobook of this, but the main character's voice was so whiny and I just couldn't deal with her constant negative introspection.

- - -

39903491
1. It Ends With You by S. K. Wright

Another mystery novel that fell short. The premise of It Ends With You was solid but some of the narrative choices were dodgy and unrealistic and, to be honest, it made me a little bit mad. You can see my full review of the book here.


- - -


This was HARD. Picking just a few favourite books and trying to list them in order is practically impossible! I think next time I might have to break it down by genre... Even choosing least favourites is difficult!

What were some of your favourite books in 2018? What books were you most disappointed by? Do you agree/disagree with any of my picks? Let me know in the comments below and leave a link to your TTT so I can check it out! 


Niamh, xo.

Comments

  1. I like your best/worst idea. I still need to read The Hate You Give. Happy New Year!

    https://allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com/2018/12/my-most-fave-best-loved-books-of-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh I hope you can read THUG soon and that you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
    2. It is on my TBR! I requested it from the library and am waiting for it to come in, so I'll have it shortly!

      Delete
    3. That's great to hear! Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh Nevernight, Fangirl and The Cruel Prince! Love those books. If you liked the excerpt of Simon Snow in Fangirl check out Carry ON if you haven't read it. It's absolute life.

    Here is our TTT for this week:
    https://tbrandbeyond.com/2019/01/01/top-ten-tuesday-8-books-i-could-re-read-forever/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read Carry On a few years ago! But I think it might be time for a re-read now that I've read Fangirl and given that Wayward Son is coming out later this year!

      Delete
  3. I have definitely done that- written the wrong date in the new year! I think I even did it in the summer once- just totally wrote down the previous year unconsciously even though the new year was like half over haha! Oops.

    I love that Ranger's Apprentice cover, and The cruel Prince looks awesome of course. I loved Fangirl, and Wreck. *nods* Kinda disappointing.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I don't think I've ever done it that far into the year though haha!

      Me too, I really like the design of both covers in the RA prequel series! I'd heard such great things about Fleur Ferris' books so it's sad that we both didn't enjoy Wreck as much as we'd hoped.

      Delete
  4. The Cruel Prince made my top 10 list, and I loved Fangirl. I hope to read something by Maggie Stiefvater this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think TCP has been included in lots of people's Top 10 of 2018! Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favourite authors so I hope you get the chance to read her work this year and that you love her as much as I do!

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about When Dimple Met Rishi. I enjoyed it, but I thought I was going to rave about it and I didn't. Happy New Year! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one with that unpopular opinion!

      Delete
  6. Yes to The Gentleman`s Guide. I listened to the audiobook as well, and I just adored Monty. When I first read "When Dimple Met Rishi" I was in love with it, but after I thought more about it, it was an average book. Still, cute romance and I really liked how precious Rishi was.

    Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was narrated so well! Definitely one of the best audiobooks I've ever read! I actually listened to When Dimple Met Rishi on audio as well so it would be interesting to see whether I'd enjoy it any better if I read the physical version.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but I'm planning on reading Gentleman's Guide this year, so it makes me very happy to see it on your best list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/01/top-ten-tuesday-192/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely read Gentleman's Guide if you can!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. That seems to be the popular opinion! I can't wait to read The Wicked King!

      Delete
  9. I can't believe you hated Peter Pan! I had the biggest crush on Peter after watching the Disney movie and after reading the book, I was obsessed with him. I think it was my first real heart break (I was nine, lol). Now, I realize that this book isn't about how cool childhood can be but about how cruel children can be. It's really dark (escpecially compared to the Disney movie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ahh it wasn't that I hated the book – I simply didn't enjoy it as much as the Disney version (which I love)! I was surprised by how dark it was, but I enjoyed that aspect. But I found Peter Pan as a character really dislikable and that soured the reading experience for me.

      Delete
  10. I'll be writing the wrong date until February... You are not alone in this. :)

    A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is one I wish I'd read this year and will be sure to read some point this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's comforting to hear!

      I really hope you have the chance to read Gentleman's Guide and that you love it!

      Delete
  11. Oooh god I loved The Scorpio Races and Fangirl. Such fun books. Interesting to see DImple/Rishi on your worst list though, I have heard so many good things. I was also intrigued to see that for you a three-star rating is a bad one! It is fascinating how everybody defines their star ratings differently. For me three stars is a solid book, well done, but not one that gives me any special fireworks.

    I should probably give more Kristoff a try as well, I loved the Illuminae stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard so many good things too! So I was disappointed that I didn't end up loving it. I don't actually rate a lot of books less than 3 stars! (They have to be REALLY terrible for that haha.) So for me, a 3-star rating is just kind of average – good but not great. I actually rated most of my "worst" books 3 stars, so in that respect, they're not that bad at all!

      I haven't read The Illuminae Files yet but I really want to! Jay is definitely my favourite new author that I discovered last year!

      Delete
  12. I like that you did best and worst. Gentleman’s Guide made my favorites list, too. How I Live Now and Fangirl were my favorites a few years ago. Happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to do a separate post for my disappointing reads but I had so many ideas for posts this month that I couldn't fit it in! I wish I had read How I Live Now and Fangirl sooner!

      Delete
  13. I have been meaning to read "Words in Deep Blue" for a while now, but alas, 2018 wasn't the year to read this one. Here's hoping I remedy this in 2019. Hope you had a great start to this year, Niamh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rissi! I hope you can read it this year and that 2019 has treated you well so far, too!

      Delete
  14. Nice take on this week's topic! Words in Deep Blue sounds interesting. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you can give Words in Deep Blue a read one day and that you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete

Post a Comment