Upcoming releases I'm unsure about // Top Ten Tuesday


At the beginning of every year when I begin to compile my list of highly anticipated upcoming releases, I inevitably add way more than I could ever possibly read. This year was no different.

I recently shared my top ten most anticipated 2019 releases, featuring predominantly sequels or new books by authors I'm already familiar with, and my aim is to read most, if not all, of those books at some point this year. Of course, there were many others that didn't make that list, including quite a few debut novels. Some, such as Enchantée and Descendant of the Crane, narrowly missed out and I will definitely be trying to read them as soon as possible after they are released, but others I'm not so sure about yet...  

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl, with a new topic to respond to every week.

- - -

35614314
1. The Weight of Our Sky by Hanna Alkaf
(Expected publication: 5th February 2019 – today!)

I've seen this getting a lot of traction recently, most notably for its #ownvoices Malaysian rep. It sounds interesting but I'm not a huge historical fiction reader (unless it's more of a historical fantasy) so it's not the kind of book I'd usually pick up.

- - -

39863237
2. The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons
(Expected publication: 5th February 2019 – today!)

This epic fantasy is marketed for fans of George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb, and Brandon Sanderson – so that alone makes me excited. Also the fact that it has a dragon on the cover! Buuut... can it really compare to such greats?

- - -

37868550
3. The Antidote by Shelley Sackier
(Expected publication: 5th February 2019 – today!)

The premise of this sounds so cool and I'm very intrigued but it has received super mixed reviews thus far so I'm sceptical.

- - -

37868569
4. We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia
(Expected publication: 26th February 2019)

Lala @ BooksandLala recently read this and while she liked it, she didn't love it. Based on the synopsis, I thought it would predominantly be about the main character's time at this special finishing school for girls but apparently that only forms a tiny fraction of the plot? And now I'm unsure.

- - -

40390513
5. When the Sky Fell on Splendor by Emily Henry
(Expected publication: 12th March 2019)

I absolutely adored Henry's writing in A Million Junes but aliens reeeally aren't my thing so I'm undecided about whether I'll pick this up or not.

- - -

36118682
6. Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan
(Expected publication: 2nd April 2019)

I haven't heard much about this one so I just don't feel like I know enough to make a decision about whether I want to read it or not?

- - -

39863306
7. The Sword and the Dagger by Robert Cochran
(Expected publication: 9th April 2019)

I don't know why I'm on the fence about this one because a Christian princess, her fiancé, and a Muslim assassin embarking on a quest together sounds absolutely awesome! I think I'm just concerned that it can't possibly live up to my expectations.

- - -

30075662
8. Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
(Expected publication: 7th May 2019)

I love Jay and Amie's separate works and although I haven't read The Illuminae Files yet, it's at the top of my TBR! This one, however, just doesn't hold the same kind of intrigue for me. (But let's be honest, I'll still probably pick it up!)

- - -

35583527
9. There's Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon
(Expected publication: 14th May 2019)

When Dimple Met Rishi wasn't my favourite. I wanted to love it but I didn't and I'm afraid the same thing will happen with this one.

- - -

36683928
10. Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
(Expected publication: 30th July 2019)

This one made it on to a lot of people's most anticipated lists this year and I can understand why. However, I just can't wrap my head around the idea of a tailoring competition being the main premise of the plot. Maybe it's because I personally don't care about clothes that much?

- - -

So there we have it! These books have piqued my interest but for one reason or another, I'm not yet convinced whether I should read them or not. And, to be honest, with all the books on my TBR at the moment, as well as other recent/upcoming releases that I'm more excited about, it's pretty unlikely that I'll pick any of them up this year.

BUT I COULD BE PERSUADED! If you've read an ARC of any of these books or know any additional information not included in the Goodreads synopsis, let me know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below! Let's chat! Are you also on the fence about any of these books? Or are they on your most anticipated list? 


Niamh, xo.

Comments

  1. I own one of Shelley's books, but haven't read it yet. I also only recently discovered "The Antidote." Not sure it'll be one I pick up, but if I'd read the one book I own from her, and like it, I'd probably pick it up.

    Hope if you do decide to read these, that they surprise you in the best way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even heard of her before coming across The Antidote. If you end up picking either of them up, I'd be very interested to know your thoughts! I'd like to think that I'd enjoy them, thanks, Rissi!

      Delete
  2. You should totally pick up Wicked Saints, it is soooo good. It's got kind of Grishaverse vibe going for it.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't read any of the Grisha novels yet but I really want to! That comparison makes me so much more intrigued about the Wicked Saints! Thanks, Melanie!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about Dimple... I liked it, but didn't love it like most. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Twinkle, with Love didn't appeal to me AT ALL but Sandhya seems really lovely and I so want to like her work!

      Delete
  4. The Ruin of Kings definitely has my attention with a blurb like that, since I'm a fan of both Martin and Robin Hobb (I haven't read Sanderson), but yes that is a mighty big comparison to make haha!

    When The Sky Fell is iffy for me too- a Stranger Things vibe would definitely get my interest but aliens... ehh I'm kinda the same, doesn't really wow me? I'm definitely going to look at reviews for that one before deciding.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Stranger Things so I'm not sure whether maybe that is the vibe Henry is going for with this new release? I might go back and read her first book instead! Thanks for stopping by, Greg!

      Delete
  5. I am currently reading Wicked Saints, and at first I was reeeeeal skeptical because it was keeping my interest at all. Around 50% is when it started getting better for me. (I toughed it out, but usually I don't keep reading if it's not working out!)

    http://adarkershadeofrosie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really good to know, thank you! I usually don't mind books with slow starts (provided there's even a small something to keep me interested) so hopefully if I do pick it up, I will enjoy it enough to persevere!

      Delete
  6. The Weight of Our Sky has the most intriguing cover! I know we're not supposed to judge books by covers, but I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the illustration style! As much as we try to ignore them, book covers still play a key role in our reading decisions.

      Delete
  7. I have the same concerns about There's Something About Sweetie.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  8. I'm currently reading Wicked Saints and if you're into books with a dark vibe to it, I highly recommend that you read it! It has magic, bloody, gory deaths and a slow-burn romance. Also characters that are morally torn.

    My #TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I love dark fantasies! And literally all of those elements are what I want in a book. I think I'm convinced!

      Delete
  9. I'm really excited about Spin The Dawn, but then I love clothes! I have heard a lot of great stuff about Wicked Saints already, but I'm not entirely sure about it either.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/05/top-ten-tuesday-197/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm intrigued enough to give both a try – they might be ones I pick up from the library on a whim one day!

      Delete
  10. I'm really, really looking forward to Wicked Saints! I'm hoping to read my ARC soon.
    My TTT this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like most people are really liking it! I hope you enjoy it, too!

      Delete
  11. Interesting, I've only heard good things about The Antidote so far. My fingers are crossed that it will be a worthwhile read.

    This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is, too! The premise is too good to waste on a mediocre book.

      Delete
  12. I'm also not sold on The Ruin of Kings. I don't really like when people compare themselves to super popular series, because then it gives me such high expectations of it. But I'm VERY excited about There's Something About Sweetie. I love Sandhya Menon so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! And I hope you enjoy Sweetie!

      Delete
  13. I'm actually really excited about a lot of these. We Set the Dark on Fire is more about the beginning of a potential movement, so it's understandable that it only partially takes place at a finishing school. I loved When Dimple Met Rishi, so I'm excited about Sweetie. Any contemporary that can make me smile from start to finish is a winner in my opinion. i hope whichever ones you stick with, you end up enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that makes more sense, I might give We Set the Dark on Fire a go after all. It's great to hear that you loved Dimple and I hope you enjoy Sweetie just as much!

      Delete
  14. I have an ARC for Spin the Dawn so I'll be reading that at some point. I'll be going to a couple of conferences in April that Sandhya Menon is going to be speaking at, so I'll probably want to read at least one of her books before I go. The Ruin of Kings is new to me but it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Spin the Dawn! And I hope you enjoy whichever of Sandyha's books that you pick up!

      Delete
  15. (Sorry in advance if this double-posts, I messed up the first time lol!)

    Great list! I related to a lot of these, but especially Ruin of Kings. When I first heard about it, I was really hyped, but the more reviews I see, the more mixed my feelings are! I think I'll wait and either borrow it from the library or see if it goes on a kindle sale for $2-3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw a really positive review of Ruin of Kings just yesterday but I think I'll probably wait and borrow it from the library as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment